DUIs are one of the most litigated areas of the law and draw defendants in from across the spectrum and without regard to age, gender or social status. Below are some helpful facts to know about DUI laws in Florida:
- DUI’s & DUI laws are controlled by Florida Statute §316.193. This statute sets the fines and penalties for DUI’s. Penalties are enhanced for multiple offenses, having a child in the care or high breath test results.
- The legal limit in the state of Florida is 0.08. There are enhanced penalties for blows over 0.15 include, but is not limited to, a requirement to have an ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle.
- Fines start at a minimum of $500.00 and can exceed several thousands of dollars. In addition to fines, there are court costs, supervision fees, and you will even be charged for the costs of investigation and incarceration.
- It is extremely beneficial to retain counsel early in the process as there are strict time frames with regard to certain portions of the statute.
- Potentially, the most onerous penalty imposed by the DUI statute relates to the DL or driver’s license suspension.
- Remember that the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has the authority to suspend your driving privilege as does the criminal court Judge who is hearing the DUI case. Both of these entities need to be satisfied before you can get your license re-instated.
- Because it is so heavily litigated, because litigation makes things complicated and because the stakes are so high, it really is crucial that you have competent and qualified legal DUI attorneys to assist you through the process.